The countdown to graduation is ON. Have you thought about ordering graduation announcements yet?
Grad announcements are a great way to let your friends, family, and community know that you’re graduating! People love to celebrate your achievements and it’s a great way to invite them to your graduation party and let them know what your plans are after high school. You will also likely get some great gifts that you can definitely use to help you next year!
do you know what to include in your graduation announcements?
The basics would be your name, high school, graduating year, and one of your amazing senior portraits, but here are some other ideas you may not have considered:
- Share your plans after high school or college: will you be joining the military, starting a new job or internship, starting at college, moving somewhere new? Dedicate at least one or two lines to tell everyone what’s next.
- Create a college gift registry with online stores like Target, Bed Bath & Beyond, Amazon Wish List, or Myregistry.com. Make it as simple as possible and send instructions for how people can find it on the back of your graduation card or as a separate insert. I’ve included some digital e-card ideas below where you can include a link for your guests.
- Include information about how people can virtually attend your graduation ceremony, since many schools are streaming them due to in-person restrictions. Your relatives will definitely want to tune in and take a screenshot of the moment you walk across the stage!
- Tell the world about any big scholarships or awards you are particularly proud of. You earned it!
- Share a special thank you message with everyone for their support and help along the years.
where can I order graduation announcements?
My number one recommendation is going to be through your photographer! Photographers have access to high-quality print labs and can get you a good deal if you order in bulk. I personally know that my professional lab is the highest quality, and they ship orders within 1-2 days. All orders are checked by me and hand delivered or shipped to your doorstep! I love designing custom announcements for my seniors.
My deluxe package includes announcements, with an additional discount if you order more through me. It’s always great to support local business owners, and I do custom designs each year.
Price range: Starts around $2/each including envelopes with a minimum order of 25
Quality: Highest quality paper and images, quick turnaround.
Why I like it: Everything is taken care of for you, and your grad announcements will look exactly how you want! You can customize every aspect of the design and message.
Minted.com grad announcements
Minted.com has great, customizable designs. You can upload your senior portrait to see how it looks with different card options. Many of these options come as a “suite” with envelopes, special inserts, and more.
Price range: Starts at around $2/each (varies by design) with a minimum order of 65; however, every customization like higher paper quality adds more to your order
Quality: Varies based on paper type
Why I like it: Lots of designs available, the upload your photo option is convenient to see how it will look with your picture in it
Paperless Post: A very easy to use digital e-card site
Why I like it: Paperless Post has card options that allow guests to RSVP, you can include a website link (great for registries), and it actually opens like a real card when your guests view it. You can keep track of RSVPs for your party and send out additional updates, thank you’s, and more to your guests from there.
Price range: They use a “coin” system based on how you personalize your card. I created a sample one that would be 7 coins per person (around $2/card)
Quality: Digital, so good quality if you upload your high resolution image
Canva: the DIY option
Canva is a free graphic design site/app where you can make pretty much any digital graphic like e-cards, story templates, and more. They have fancier options available for premium members, but you can easily do the free 7 day trial and download your design that way to use a Pro template. This is great for a digital e-cards where you can include a link if you plan to email it out instead of sending it through the mail.
This is a really convenient option, and now Canva also has a Print option! If you want to send printed cards to your closest family, and digital e-cards to your friends, check out Canva and personalize your design.
Price range: Free (digital); printed cards start at $5 for one individual printed card/envelope and gets less expensive if you order more
Quality: You would need to download the image as a PNG/JPEG or PDF so it’s not as “fancy”, but it is easy to share.
Why I like it: Save the planet with digital announcements; it’s an affordable option that you can customize if you’re creative!
here’s your graduation announcement checklist:
- Make a list of people you want to send a grad announcement to – remember, people LOVE sending graduates gifts!!!
- Check the list with your family – they may want you to send some to extended relatives or family friends
- Don’t forget your teachers, school counselors, mentors, coaches, and other important people in your life!
- Order a little more than you think you need, just in case you realize you forgot someone later on. 20% extra is a good rule of thumb (if planning to order 50, order 60 instead)
- Figure out your budget and look at the recommendations above to see what your best option is.
- Have someone proofread your grad announcement for typos and to make sure you’ve included all the important info
- Double check the quantity and what your order includes (envelopes, thank you cards, etc. if needed)
After you order:
- Start collecting addresses for the people on your list.
- Enlist some help from your family to put guest addresses on the envelopes and send them out early, especially if you’re planning a party.
- Buy stamps (if you’re mailing out announcements)
Other fun tools that can help you with addressing envelopes:
Simply Write – to help you write addresses in evenly spaced, straight lines
Personalized address stamp: This is one you can convince your family to buy for you, because they can use it afterwards! Save yourself some time from having to write your name and address on each and every envelope. Get a personalized stamp like this one on Etsy and get a cheap inkpad at your local craft store!
Now that you know what options are out there, you can start finding your favorite options to create your one-of-a-kind graduation announcements.